- Be mindful of your portions. Use the plate model, making sure half of your plate is fruit and / or vegetables.
- Survey which foods are available at the buffet and make wise choices.
- Eat slowly and savor your foods. You’ll naturally eat less and increase your enjoyment of dining.
- Create a healthy environment. Offer to make a lower calorie appetizer or side dish.
- Limit the quantity of alcohol consumed by enjoying a glass of sparkling water or seltzer in between alcoholic beverages.
- Be sure to have breakfast and/or lunch the day of a holiday meal. This will help you control your intake.
- Include more salad or low-calorie vegetables. This will make you feel better about partaking in a small dessert serving 😉
- Be active during the holiday season. Don’t wait till after New Year’s Day to begin exercising. Use a pedometer to count steps as you shop and prepare for the holidays. Determine your average number of steps over a 3 day period and set a goal increasing that number of steps by 20%. It all adds up to more physical activity which leads to less weight gain!
Write out your plan
Work the plan daily
Check your weight once or twice weekly to monitor
If you implement these suggestions you WILL have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!